Thursday, 10 December 2009
Thursday, 22 October 2009
This week is a drawingweek, today we we had to create a reductive drawing using a rubber on paper which was blackened with charcoal to leave the darkest areas white (image on left). The full figure had to be drawn and be revealed by picking out highlights and mid tones with the rubber. We covered different types of drawings such as cubist (on right) and also drawings where we avoid the model and only drawthe background, these all created different effects which were highly interesting.
For my solo external drawing day I had to empty the contents of a container and proceed to arrange them in a visually interesting way, some examples we were given were; bag, trinket box, drawer, jewellery box, wardrobe, wallet. The requirements were that you had to use all object in the container, no matter how inconsequential they appear (even dust or fluff in the corners). The Drawing had to be from a bird’s eye view- not a traditional still life view of the objects.
Whole A1 Drawing above
Monday, 12 October 2009
I was happy with my chair as it was old fashioned and had interesting details. For the project we only had a couple of restrictions,one being that we had to use every part of the chair in the finial model and that we had to have tension somewhere in the chair.
A plan was put into action to separate the legs into smaller part with an free standing saw machine in the workshop, this didn’t take long and we ended up with hundreds or tiny pieces, in order for the string to go through the parts we started drilling holes into the pieces ( we couldn’t drill when legs were whole as the pieces were too long for the drill to go right through to the other side ) this proved too time consuming as we only had a day or so left for the project to be completed, eventually we had to use black tape to connect it to the sting, which in the end created a nice pattern against the brown of the paint on the legs(end product on right)
It was decided that as the chair was about old and new we would use some silver wire and duck tape to express the new and reflective aspect which would cover the top and the fragmented wooden legs would represent the older side which would be on the bottom. The image on the right is the top half of the model- The modern half.
We wrapped wire around the top of the chair seat, through the holes to create a pointed cage (insert on left) which would be the top half of the diamond shape- we later covered this side with the black duck tape to make it more modern and left the other stained, chipped and exposing the wood and paint.
The Project was very helpful in broadening my mind, at first when you think about having to reconstruct a chair there does not seem like you have much to work with but in fact the possibilities are endless and this is visible from the end model, as most people would not be able to tell it was once a wooden chair. On the whole the project was good in widening my mind and also gave me an insight into what’s possible in a short time period and thus helped me manage my time much more effectively.